Polestar announced a number of important innovations for its Polestar 2 electric sedan. The automaker has introduced a series of improvements in terms of sustainability, technology and design. The updated version of the Polestar 2 can already be ordered in the countries where the brand is present, with the first deliveries scheduled for September 2022.
But let’s go in order and see all the updates announced for this model.
As for sustainability, the CEO Thomas Ingenlath explains that the company has reviewed the materials and processes that contribute to the production of the Polestar 2, introducing some innovations that reduce the climate impact and increase the traceability of materials.
These are important additions that allow us to improve cars throughout their entire life cycle, not only in terms of functionality and design, but also in terms of sustainability and carbon footprint.
More specifically, thanks to the partnership with Circulor, Polestar, via blockchain technology, can trace minerals from high-risk areas, from the extraction stage to the finished product. In addition, a pilot project has been launched which provides for the replacement of aluminum in the wheels with low-carbon aluminum produced with renewable energy. According to Polestar, this choice will make it possible to obtain a reduction of 600 kg of CO2 for each Polestar 2.
In addition to all this, the new aluminum support of the battery housing in all versions of the Polestar will reduce CO2 by 750 kg per car, thanks to the decision of buy aluminum for this component exclusively from foundries that use renewable energy.
In terms of technical innovations, Polestar makes it known that the Polestar 2 Standard range Single motor battery has greater capacity (now 69 kWh), thanks to improved cell chemistry. This allows for greater autonomy (up to 474 km WLTP) and faster recharging (up to 130 kW in direct current). The engine power was raised to 170 kW.
The innovations in terms of design and interiors are as follows:
- New exterior colors: Space (replacing Void) and Jupiter (replacing Moon)
- Magnesium is now the default stock color at no additional cost
- New designs for standard 19-inch and optional 20-inch wheels
- New Zinc color for the Nappa leather upholstery with ventilation (replacing Barley), available with the new Light Ash decoration (replacing Reconstructed Wood)
- Removable sunshade for the panoramic glass roof (also available in the Polestar extras online shop from mid-June 2022 for all Polestar 2 with glass roof)
Finally, among the further novelties of this important update for the Polestar 2 we find:
- The performance software update, with maximum output of 350 kW and 680 Nm, is now included in the Performance package in Europe
- The heat pump (included in the Plus package) has been improved with optimal temperatures between -7 ° C and 25 ° C
- Advanced cabin filter and internal particulate sensor updated with new integrated app that quantifies the improvement of the outside air quality in the cabin (Plus package)